Sunday, July 21, 2013

Collector Stories - Great Finds - Xenogears (PS1)

Xenogears is generally seen as one of the best RPG's on the Playstation, and for good reason. It's a JRPG with giant robots using kung-fu. That's awesome. It provides more than that, which was completely unnecessary because giant kung-fu robots should be enough for any gamer, but it has a compelling story, a very well developed world and characters and gorgeous visuals in gameplay, and great animated cutscenes. It's a fantastic game and any RPG fan should have a copy of it.

On Pricecharting.com, the asking price seems to be about $25 to $40. I got mine for $18. How? Because I settled for things many collectors wouldn't bother with.

First off, it's a green label Greatest Hits reprint. A lot of collectors don't bother with those, and because of that, they generally go for lower prices. The game also didn't have the manual, and there were strange, small, black smudges on the back of the case that I still haven't been able to get off. I don't know what those are. I'm assuming that it's food residue, but it's small, and it ain't coming off, so I'm not worried.

Also, the eBay seller only had about 20 sales to his name. Another thing that any eBay user would be a bit iffy about. And I was iffy about it, but the deal was too good to pass up, and I wanted to play Xenogears.

I guess the moral of this story is that collectors are really obsessive about getting certain editions. I know one collector who won't touch a green label game, no matter how good the deal is. I don't understand this. There's no difference between the game if it has a green label or a black label, it's just a label on the side of the case and the coloration of the disc.

I'm not complaining, though. It makes collecting easier for me. It's not settling for less. It's accepting the fact that it's not perfect, and it's cheaper because of that, and sometimes good enough is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment