Sunday, June 23, 2013

First Impressions: Star Wars The Old Republic

I've recently begun playing Star Wars The Old Republic, the free to play MMORPG. I want to make a few statements before I get into talking about my first impressions of the game.

One: I've never cared about MMORPG's. I don't like playing multiplayer games unless I'm playing them with friends who are in the same room as me. I don't get the point. I'd rather not play a game with some 13 year old ritalin junkies flinging around every bit of profanity their puny little minds can think up.

Two: I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. I love the original trilogy and I like some of the games, like Shadows of the Empire on the N64. My knowledge of Star Wars ends at those movies and that game. I've never played Knights of the Old Republic, but I really want to at some point.

That out of the way, I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. I haven't had any interactions with other players, which is how I like it (I'm playing on a Player Vs. Environment server, which is what I'd recommend for others with my mindset) and so far, the story's fairly interesting. I won't go into too much detail, because I'm still not far enough into it to really know what's going on with certainty. It's just something about some sort of contest, and to get into the contest, I have to run some errands for a Hutt crime lord. Of course, the Hutt crime lord is an asshole, because there really isn't any other kind of Hutt crime lord.

I'm also eager to play a Sith agent and a Jedi knight, and to sign up for a paid subscription in the near future. I'll provide my thoughts about that when I get to it.

Just a heads up - it takes an eternity to download the game. Mine took about five hours to get up and running. But it's free to play unless you want to get some extra features. There's nothing to lose if you don't like it, except for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment