Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Thoughts on Star Wars: The Old Republic - Part 2

A few hours ago, I put up an entry about my first impressions of Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's been about 24 hours since the first time I played, and I just got my bounty hunter up to level 10 and I'm about to make a second character, but I'm not sure what class I'm going to make.

Anyway, I figured I'd give a little bit more of my thoughts on the game.

The first thought is that at the start, when I only had two attacks and a few support abilities (shooting with my blaster pistol and firing a rocket at the enemy) it was a lot easier. I just hit the 1 and 2 keys and alternate back and forth, but not use the rocket too often so as to avoid overheating. That worked very easily and intuitively. Now, I have several other skills. I can shoot an explosive dart at an enemy that explodes in a few seconds, heavily damaging other nearby enemies (which is satisfying as all hell), I can fly up in the air with my jetpack and rain down rockets at a selected area, which isn't as useful as it sounds so far since enemies tend to move out of that area, but when it works, it's even more satisfying than the explosive dart. I also have wrist mounted flamethrowers, which also aren't as helpful as I wish they were, and a handful of other abilities. Even the ones that aren't very useful are fun.

But here's the problem. You can set up those abilities to number keys. This is fine, but using every number from 0 through to 9 and the "-" key can be a bit confusing, and it's easy to lose track of which key does what, especially if you aren't looking at the keyboard at the moment. And you aren't, because you're in a fight. Maybe more experienced PC gamers don't have this issue, and I'm aware that there's really no other way to implement this, but it's a bit annoying. It's not a crippling flaw, because with the bounty hunter, I tend to only use a handful of weapons, and even then, about 60% is the standard blaster attack, 30% is the rocket attack and every other attack is the last 10%, so it's not a huge problem.

Another problem is really just my computer. My laptop had a cooling fan in it crap out a few days back, and I need to get it repaired, and I'm not sure when that'll happen. So, for now I'm using my mother's laptop, which is about a year and a half newer than my computer (which unfortunately means it has the infernal abomination of an operating system that is Windows 8), but it's not as powerful, so I have to put the graphics in the game on very low, and even then, the game has some problems making the movements look fluid. I'm not knocking the game for this, because this problem is mostly on my end, but I'm sure that the amount of other players using up the bandwidth isn't helping.

Also, having just hit level 10, the game's giving me fewer experience points. This is because I'm a free to play user at the moment. If I were giving them $15 a month, I wouldn't have that problem. Also, I'd be able to play as more than three races, and get a lot of other cool shit.

So, my only problems are either moderately annoying issues that I can't see how they could fix anyway, or problems on my end. In any case, these issues aren't major ones.

I do forsee myself getting a paid subscription, and I also see myself making more entries about this game. It's very good, and I can't recommend it enough. Especially since you can play it for free

No comments:

Post a Comment