Friday, June 28, 2013

My Thoughts on Star Wars: The Old Republic - Part 3

I'm still playing this game quite a lot. In fact, it's been several days since I turned on my PS3. I feel like I'm neglecting it. I have found time for my Sega Genesis, though. I can always find time for some Streets of Rage or Ristar. But I'd say about 90% of my gaming time over the last week has been with Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's really quite addictive.

Last night, I signed up for a paid account. The $30 two month non recurring one, to be exact. I like to have every paid subscription I have due at around the first few days of the month, but I didn't want to wait another week to get it and all the goodies that come with it. So far, the only perks of the paid subscription I've used are the increase in experience points after level 10 and the ability to make more characters on one server.

Other things I've done recently is play the multi-player with a friend of mine. He was a Jedi Knight and I was a Jedi Consular. I went through the random name generator, and it gave me Slagrico, which might be the greatest name I've ever given to a character in any game or work of fiction I've written. I like to pronounce Slagrico like that awful early nineties one hit wonder Gerardo or whatever his name was pronounced Rico Suave. That's kind of how you have to pronounce that name, isn't it?

Anyway, the multi player is pretty fun. I haven't done enough with it to really be able to go in depth about it, though.

I also have a couple of characters on a European server. It runs a lot smoother since there are fewer players. The only problem is that on a pair of occasions, I got booted off due to a bad connection, given that the server is located on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

The other classes I've experimented with are the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior. I've had a lot more time with the Sith Warrior, but they're both very similar. I like the Sith Warrior storyline so far. You get to be an asshole, and it feels like it's in character as a Sith for you to be one. But at the same time, it feels weird for me to just make the dark side decisions all the time. I'm certainly playing a bad guy, but I'm not cartoonishly evil, nor am I evil just for the sake of being evil. It's sort of like how I write fiction. I try to give my bad guys a little depth, and have some good in them. Maybe it's a sense of loyalty to the people they work with, maybe it's a feeling of respect for a worthy adversary, or maybe they just that they don't kill without having a reason to. That's kind of how I'm playing that character, and the dark side/light side alignment is fairly even there. And it doesn't feel like I'm playing against type, either. A sith pretty much has to be at least a little evil, but that doesn't mean I have to stab puppies for the fun of it.

I'm also still loving the Bounty Hunter storyline. If I remember right, I'm at level 15 with that one, and the Jedi Knight story I just started is off to a promising start.

Also, a little fun fact: The male Jedi Knight character is voiced by David Hayter, the voice actor for Solid Snake, which is pretty cool, even if he doesn't sound like Snake at all. I still know that it's Solid Snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment